Previous service projects
- Planning and organizing youth ministry activities
- Mentor and facilitator during summer camps
- Accompaniment for women and children living in poverty
- Home visits to sick and children in difficult situations
- Community outreach and development
We were invited to a dinner party in one community and it turned out to be an unforgettable night in Cuba. As a citizen of the United States, I was unsure how I would be treated in the village. I can assure you though that the people welcomed me warmly and showed me the utmost respect and kindness. That night, the kids showed me their houses, I learned to dance salsa, and ate a variety of Cuban dishes prepared by the community. I found it interesting how the various communities acted as large families, a by-product of living in a communist society. They all knew who was who and openly depended on each others' strength to fulfill daily requirements. The experience in Cuba was a bit surreal altogether, but I know that the people I met, the children I served, and the time we shared will forever be ingrained within me.
- Russell H.